It’s almost Christmas, so it’s time for my gift to you, a whole promptapalooza of writing starts. Use them right now to start stories, poems, articles, songs or whatever or squirrel them away for when the muse is hiding in the closet saying, “No, I don’t want to come out.” Feel free to share the results or your own favorite prompts in the comments.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you. May your words flow easily and your inbox be full of good news.
1. What do I hate most about Christmas?
2. My best/worst Christmas present ever
3. I want to go _____________________
4. I wish I were_____________________
5. He opened the door and ________________
6. As wind shook the house_________________
7. Plop, plop, plop!
9. Oh no!
10. When the phone rang______________
11. The stench_______________________
12. One more stitch
14. Dead battery
15. Next time________________________
16. Flashing lights
18. Wet dog
19. Wrapped present on the side of the road
20. Bad Christmas cookie
21. With his wife gone__________________
22. As they waited for the ambulance___________________
23. We’re late!
24. As the car pulled into the driveway____________________
Whether or not you believe in Christmas, you must believe in writing or you wouldn’t be reading this blog. So here’s my gift to you after oh, 15 minutes of deep thought. Fill in the blanks to write tweets, poems, stories, articles, opinion pieces, whatever feels right. You’re welcome share the results in the comments. Unless it’s really good. Then keep it to yourself and publish it.
1. When he reached into his Christmas stocking, he never expected to find____________
2. He said, “I promise you I won’t______________________”
3. It was the first time she __________________________
4. Under the snow, she found _________________________
5. My mother’s (or father’s) idea of a good Christmas was ________________________
6. I stared at my present in disbelief. It was _______________________________
7. If I were in charge of Christmas, I would ____________________________
8. Santa’s on a special diet this year, so I’m leaving him ________________________
9. Gun in hand, he stared at the blow-up snowman and said, “_____________________”
10. Mary said to Joseph the night the Baby was born, “__________________________”
11. Wearing his old suit that was too big for him now, Bud Johnson slipped into the back pew at church on Christmas Eve. It was ________________________
12. “What have you got now?” she screamed at the dog. She reached into the canine’s mouth and pulled out __________________________